Through Wind and Rain EKU Beats the Bulldogs
Over the weekend of March 30-April 1, 12 EKU PGM upperclassmen traveled to Indianapolis, Ind., to compete in the Fourth Annual, EKU vs. Ferris State Cup. As “Ryder Cup Style” Match Play, the event which consisted of 24 total players to see which team would win the cup for their respective program.
For 2018, EKU’s team brought home the win making the tournament the all-time record for the EKU vs. Ferris State Cup is now even at 2-2. EKU team members were:
- Nathan Bratcher, a senior from Louisville, KY
- Michael Cantwell, a senior from Columbus, OH
- Brett Gerbec, a junior from Grafton, OH
- Jeremy Gregory, a junior from Algonquin, IL
- Alex Gutowski, a senior from Petoskey, MI
- Joshua Luster, a junior from Bluff City, TN
- Thomas Pittman, a senior from Virginia Beach, VA
- Matthew Salva, a junior from Mt. Juliet, TN
- Samuel Schmitz, a senior from Springfield, VA
- Collin Smith, a junior from Union, KY
- Zachary S. Smith, a junior from Mantua, OH
- Phillip Webb, a junior from Irvine, KY
This two-day tournament featured different formats. Day one was played at Southern Dunes Golf Course with six team matches. The players battled through high winds and wet conditions, but the day concluded in a tie - with both teams finishing with three points each, leading to an exciting finish in day two.
Twelve singles matches were played on day two at Purgatory Golf Club in Noblesville, Ind. The players faced cold temperatures and windy conditions, but EKU got off to a fast start by taking four and a half points in the first six matches. However, Ferris made a comeback during matches seven through 10 by winning three out of four matches. EKU won the last two matches, finishing strong with a final team score of ten and a half to seven and a half points.
"This was my first EKU vs. Ferris State Tournament; it was a great experience. I'm glad we were able to bring the cup back to Richmond and hopefully we will be able to do the same next year."
-Brett Gebec, junior, Grafton, OH
"The Ferris State Tournament was a great experience and I enjoyed the competitiveness of the event. The venues were great and I look forward to being part of the team to retain the cup in 2019."
-Collin Smith, junior, Union, KY
Photo, left to right: Brett Gerbec, Nathan Bratcher, Joshua Luster, Collin Smith, Michael Cantwell, Thomas Pittman, Jeremy Gregory, Zachary S. Smith, Alex Gutowski, Ross Lingenfelder, Matthew Salva, Phillip Webb
Published on April 01, 2018